Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Adventures in Antioch: Part 8



First off, I’d like to apologize for the lateness of this email. I am
currently on exchange with Elder Threet and had to take over my area
for the day.  This means I’m currently in charge of Smith Springs B area,
which involves a lot of scheduling and phone calls and more scheduling
and so forth.   Hence the delay in writing.

It has been good to hear from the regulars again this week and some new
ones, too.  Thank you so much for keeping in touch!

So this week was an adventure.

First of all, we did some pretty awesome tracting. We met this guy who
looked like he was about to slam the door in our face. However, after
telling him we were Mormons he was much more relaxed. Turns out
missionaries from other faiths have also been contacting local folks
and the locals get confused.

The guy was super cool though. He’s a Christian rapper and goes by Mr. Cross.
He was really impressed with what we do and gave us T-shirts which say
"radical nation."  They’re pretty sweet.

I also recently discovered that the apartment complex where I lived
as a baby is in my area.   Getting to Massman Manor was a bit of a hike,
but we decided to do some tracting over there. Unfortunately the entire place
was pretty much overrun with non-Christians from foreign lands, and a lot
of other people who weren’t very interested. It was still pretty cool
to check out.
Massman Manor Apartments, where I lived with my parents as a baby.

Tracting at Massman Manor.  My parents used to live on the 3rd floor.

All our investigators are progressing well. It’s pretty awesome to see
them getting closer to baptism. One of our investigators who is
getting baptized next Saturday is super excited to have his older
brother baptize him.

I’ve recently been striving to develop more Christlike attributes. One thing I
carried with me from BYU-Idaho was just caring for the people. So I
made a personal challenge of doing something nice for at least three
people per day--simple things like giving sincere compliments and
assisting with setting things up.

For example, we had a bus driver who was kind of elderly and didn’t
hear very well. He would often miss our stop, or if we pulled the cord a few
blocks early, would just stop there. This didn’t really help us. We
have heard many other passengers complain about him too--even my
companion. One day when we got that driver, I could tell my companion
was dreading having to yell for him to stop at the correct stop. All
of a sudden, a poem President Monson quotes a lot came into my mind:

I have wept in the night
For the shortness of sight
That to somebody’s need made me blind
But I never have yet
Felt a tinge of regret
For being a little too kind.

With this prompting, I leaned over and said “Whatever happens, just
get off the bus. Don’t say a thing. Even if he misses our stop by a
long shot or stops too short.” Then I pulled the cord and
approached the driver. “How has your day been?” I said, loud enough so
he could hear. He kind of jerked up in surprise and said something along
the lines of “Pretty good.” I then pointed to the stop ahead saying
“If you could let us off at the stop up there that’d be great.”

“Alrighty then,” he replied. As we got off the bus at the correct stop
I could tell my companion was a little surprised. With a big smile, I
waved to the driver who to my surprise smiled and waved back. Since
that day, that driver has always talked to me and laughed with me. He
has never missed our stop again.

Elder Leavitt was pretty surprised at the turn around. But for me it
almost seems natural. Jesus Christ commanded His apostles to love one
another as He had loved them. Why should we not do the same today?
When someone takes the time to express interest or care for someone
else it shows that Christlike attitude. As Christians, it is our duty
to love and serve others. When we make it a part of our day to listen
and act on promptings to do good we can feel Christ’s love and care.

When you do these things, I challenge you to see how you feel
afterwards. President Monson said “If we truly listen, we may hear
that voice from far away say to us, as it spoke to another, ‘Well
done, thou good and faithful servant.”

I hope all of you are doing well. I don’t get to hear from as many
people as I’d like to, but I can understand busy schedules.

I’ve noticed that my friend, Elder Moffitt, is putting scriptures in his blog
so here are TWO of my favorites:
Alma 37:6-7 and 1st Corinthians 10:13

Thank you again for all your support and prayers.  We appreciate it.
So long for now,

Elder Peery

More pictures below:
Cell tower with a bunch of crows on it.

Beautiful day in Tennessee -- a local "mega" church in the background.

Elder Leavitt's birthday celebration at the Catherine's.

Even serious missionaries can have fun, silly birthday celebrations!
Happy Birthday, Elder Leavitt!

Elder Leavitt is learning to play guitar!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for another super post. We really look forward to reading them. Sounds like a very busy week. Hope your weather is as pleasant as ours. Thanks for the reminder about how we should interact with the grumpy people around us.
    We love you and we are very proud of you.

    ReplyDelete