Monday, July 21, 2014

Week 7 in the Field: Smith Springs Ward Missionary Work Blows Up! : )

Nazarene Church that got struck by lightening 6 weeks ago. Massive destruction.
It makes me happy to hear that there are so many people reading my blog. It would appear that I get more attention when I'm on my mission than when I was home. Thanks everyone!  (Still looking forward to hearing from more Idaho friends!)

So remember how I kept saying Smith Springs has the capability to blow up (in a good way)? Well, it blew up! This past week we ended up with 8 progressing investigators including one with a baptismal date. As excited as I'm sure you all are, I'll be saving that story for a little later. 

Elder Leavitt arm wrestling with one of our investigators

Monday was the last Pday in the area for Elder Perry. We decided to all go downtown and shop for boots. I believe a picture of us boot shopping might've been in the last post. Elder Leavitt, Elder Moeller, and Elder Perry all bought boots while I decided to save my own money purely cause I don't/cannot wear boots for two years. But it was pretty entertaining to see these elders gain their man badge by purchasing a pair of Country boots.

Tuesday was kinda sad. Elder Loveless, Elder Perry, Sister Ellis, and Sister Larsen were transferred or rather  "...the Spirit of The Lord has called (them) another way;" (Alma 22:4). Also one of the Hermanas from Providencia Ward was transferred whose name was Hermana Holman. She and I had performed a musical number last Sunday with myself on piano and her singing "Where Can I Turn For Peace" in Spanish. It was a lot of fun, but I'm also happy to meet the new missionaries: Elder Byner, Elder Tomlinson, Elder Threet, Sister Johnson (one of the many), and Sister Cook. It was a fun district meeting on Wednesday.

Thursday was the day everything blew up. We had a pretty stacked day. Even though our first appointment cancelled on us, we were determined to have an awesome day. After lunch, we met someone who was quite possibly the coolest person I've ever met. "K" was an investigator that Elder Leavitt and his past companion Elder Ackroyd contacted a while back. She was from Ireland and had an incredibly strong accent. (Including using sentences like "I've talked with me mates..." and "I be hearing things..."). It was so great cause it brought me back to those days when I helped tech the show, "Dancing at Lughnasa" at BYU-Idaho. But the problem was we couldn't track her down. One day while I was on the exchange with Elder Moeller, he and Elder Perry ran into her again and were able to schedule an appointment for this past Thursday. When I found out that we had an appointment I could barely contain my excitement. 

Finally when we met with her she was everything amazing and more. On the outside of the door she had a note which read something along the lines of "Sir Elders, I be home. Please come in." She had read the pamphlets and even some of the Book of Mormon and she had a lot of great questions. After having a great lesson, she wanted us to come back he next day to talk to her more about Joseph Smith. We also found out so many cool things like how she has toured with Skillet and is friends with many other metal bands. 

When we came back the next day we were ready for the second greatest lesson ever. We walked up the stairs with great excitement (myself almost tripping a couple times) until we got to the door. There was another note on the door but not nearly as happy. I have sent a photo with the actual note which hopefully should be posted after this if my mother can do it.

K's note

We were heartbroken. Both of us didn't say a word as we climbed back into the car. It was a full 180 from the past lesson and it was hard for us to believe that one of our best investigators could be turned so quickly. It hurt, but we left a reply saying something along the lines of "We are grateful for the time you spent with us and respect your decision. We hope you continue to read the Book of Mormon because we know how much it has blessed our life." There was more but I can't remember it all. We took the pamphlets but left the book and also placed The Testimony of Joseph Smith on top of it. What happened to those two things we do not know, but we hope the best for her. In an ironic turn of events we had just taught a lesson to the Clark's and Danielle about enduring to the end, quoting D&C 121.

The aftermath of the incident with K

BUT back to Thursday, after K, we saw the Elson family. We have been working with their son, David, who's 12 about getting baptized. Finally we told him that we were thinking about holding a baptism on August 9th and asked him if he wanted to be baptized then and he said something along the lines of "It's gonna happen anyways." A few days later, with his parents agreed, it was announced formally in Priesthood meeting that he would be baptized then. The bishop announced the baptism during sacrament meeting, but after talking with him afterwards he did say he wanted to. 

We've also been working with a great family who has said they really appreciate us coming and talking with them about the gospel. Though a lot of things have been difficult to accept, they are working through it and are progressing really well. 

That's pretty much everything that happened this week. There are a lot of cool things going on and it will be fun to see what happens next. As for my bible study update, I am trying to power through Leviticus but it's hard with the endless chapters on sacrificing animals and other ordinances.


There's a pretty cool Mormon message we have been using in our teaching. When you have the time, look up the Mormon message titled "Testimony of the Book of Mormon" or something like that. Elder Holland bears this amazingly powerful testimony on it. Good stuff.

Thanks for the prayers,

Elder Peery
Sweet sunset on Anderson street

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see that arm wrestling happening at arm's length elders!! Haha. You are doing such a great job dealing with everything mission life throws at you day after day. ..."all these things shall give thee e experience, and shall be for thy good". All. It's sad when others make choices that seem to bring their growth and progress to an abrupt halt, but your learning continues regardless. We are in awe of your dedication and faith xx

    ReplyDelete